District 31A Lions Clubs of North Carolina
Welcome from District Governor Will Hicks
What a great opportunity to serve; we’re starting a new year! My theme this year is “Be the Lion; Make the Magic”. We’ll spend a lot of effort in helping our respective communities. In addition to our “We Serve” commitment, we’ll take a look at ourselves as well.
Throughout the years we haven’t said much about membership. We’d catch a glimpse of the word in our district directories. It felt like some clubs didn’t want to mention the word at all. New members are the life's blood to our district. We need to be reminded that if you don’t get those new Lions family members, your club will wither away. All of the blood sweat and tears that you have put into your Lions Club will have been for nothing.
If you’d like to extend your club into other communities, you might look into starting a club branch. You won’t need 20 members to start one. Check it out on the LCI website.
Lion Will Hicks
2014 Lions State Convention to be held in Asheville, NC
The 2014 Lions State Convention will be held in Asheville NC. It will be at the Crown Plaza. Make your plans now. May 29, 2014 - Jun 1, 2014.
The state convention pins have been very popular. I have but a few left an will not get any more. If you want one get it now. They are $5.00 each. Only 500 were ordered. Lion Joe Silvers may have some. Both Convention and Advertisting reservation forms may also be downloaded online.
Cabinet Meeting Notice
Our next PEP Rally (Cabinet Meeting) will be held in Shelby on March 29 at the Lafayette St. United Methodist Church at 1420 S. Lafayette St., Shelby, at 1500; 3:00 pm.
DISTRICT 31A LEADERSHIP TEAM
District Governor - Will Hicks
First Vice District Governor - David Titus
Second Vice District Governor - Debbie Hicks
Secretary / Treasurer - Bill Barnwell
District Governor’s Theme 2013-14
"Be the Lion, Make the Magic!"
- Membership - Grow the district membership with invitations and new clubs.
- Attitude - Keep a positive, can do, attitude as we go about serving our communities.
- Growth - Expand your Lion experiences to include the district and state activities.
- Image Building - Be proud to be a Lion and let folks know who you are.
- Club’s Unity - Build camraderie among the district clubs. Help each other out and attend each other’s functions when you can. After all, they are family.
||Everyday, from Murphy to Manteo, North Carolina, over 10,000 Lions work diligently to improve their communities and the world around them. The clubs that form Multiple District 31 in hold the same vision as fellow Lions around the world and that is to serve those less fortunate.
Through the dilligent efforts of our members, Multiple District 31 Lions are there to help, whatever the need. In District 31A our many service projects address the needs of people all across the region and include:
- McCune Memorial Center - A licensed Adult Care Assisted & Independent Living facility owned and operated by the Lions of Western North Carolina located in Black Mountain.
- Camp Dogwood - Located on Lake Norman this facility has been the hallmark of achievement for NC Lions and a wonderful vacation retreat for more than 850 blind and visually impaired campers each summer.
- Humanitarian / White Cane Drive - Our most important fund to provide services to the blind and visually impaired through the North Carolina Lions Foundation.
- VIP Fishing Tournament - Drawing people from 77 countries, this project provides the stage for the largest gathering of blind & visually impaired people in North Carolina.
- Vision Van - Travelling all across North Carolina conducting free vision screenings, the vision van can be the first line in the detection of vision problems.
Other North Carolina Lions projects include: Clinical Eye Research, Diabetes Awareness, Services for Children, Organ-Tissue Procurement, Boys & Girls Home of NC, Moorehead School for the Blind and numerous others.
These programs along with community specific projects fulfill our mission to serve our communities all across North Carolina providing humanitarian needs.